Math Journal Sundays - Data Management

I'm sorry - I was busy with my progress reports last weekend, so I didn't get my math journal idea posted.  The good news ... I have two journal ideas for you today!

We are deep into our Data Management unit right now.  The first journal entry is for stem and leaf graphs.  To be completely honest, when I first started teaching 13 years ago, I had no idea what a stem and leaf graph actually was.  As a result, I have to admit I probably didn't pay as much attention to it as I should have.  Long story short ... when it showed up on our provincial testing and my students were completely ill-prepared, I made sure it my students knew it from that point on.

We used the results from our last math test to make our journal entry for the stem and leaf plots.  Whenever possible, I try to incorporate as many real-life examples as possible into our math investigations.  We listed the percents from our math test as our set of data, then turned those results into a stem-and-leaf plot.  We used a simple flap template.  We wrote definitions for the graph on the outside of the interactive tool, and wrote the numbers for the graph on the inside.  My students really like this type of graph, so I won't be surprised if it turns up on our final assignment for this unit.




Then we moved on to mean, median, mode, and range.  We used our shoe sizes to study these data management techniques.  For our journals, we used 4 index cards for the 4 concepts.  We attached the index cards to the journal page using a brass fastener.  My students already know how to find mean, mode, median, and range, but it always amazes me how quickly they forget which one is which.  By having these cards in their journals, they have an easy reference.


For even more math journal ideas, you can check out my Interactive Math Journal Resource over at TeachersPayTeachers.  Just click on the picture to head on over.








I've just recently added two new drama circles to my store.  The Thanksgiving Drama Circle will have your students "acting" like they're ready to help make Thanksgiving dinner.  The Winter Drama Circle centers around the excitement of a snow day.  Both are perfect for drama activities, cooperative learning activities, improving listening skills, morning meetings, and just plain fun in the classroom.  Just click on the pictures to get a preview of the activities.


Happy Sunday!
Jen

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter