Contributor post by Rena Tom
I'm most of the way through a book called Cheap: The High Cost of Discount Culture by Ellen Ruppel Shell. It’s a great read about pricing, discounting, the glut of cheap (and cheaply made) consumer goods and how the retail landscape is changing dramatically around the world.
I work with many makers of handmade goods, and almost all of them have difficulties pricing their work. Due to economies of scale, handmade goods are seen by some as being unusually expensive compared to a similar mass-produced item. Therefore, some would argue, there is almost no reason to shop handmade. In a culture that prizes “getting a deal” above all else, handmade no longer makes sense.
CONTINUE READING...
Related Posts
Trending Now
Popular
-
Happy post-Thanksgiving! And the winner of the $250 Toys "R" Us gift card is......SuZ, from Not Your Typical Mommy . Congratulations—I hope your little girl enjoys her Barbie Pow…
-
Art Show: The Passengers, Tina Berning"The Passengers", is a new solo show by Berlin artist, Tina Berning at gallery hanahou …
-
The Best DIY of the Summer?This past week the Etsy blog posted this fun zig-zag shorts diy that I keep thinking about. I'…
-
DIY Boxwood Mini WreathContributor post by Emily and Erick of Hello Home Shoppe If you're any bit like us and the prox…
-
A Festive Afternoon CoffeeEarlier this week we hosted a little festive gathering at our place, (a casual afternoon get togeth…
-
Thank-you!!! It's like 212 Degrees!Oh my goodness - what started on Tuesday as an (almost) 300 Followers Celebration, has now official…
-
Rattlesnake Bites (aka Beef-Stuffed Crescents)Football season is upon us! Pretty sure college football gets going next week. Exciting times lie a…
