The Love That Max Year In Review 2012


In January, Max learned to love skiing; I shared The Stuff Special Needs Moms Say; and we all got outraged about a hospital's initial decision to deny a child with special needs a kidney transplant.

In February, I asked people to see the ability, not the disability and couldn't resist joining in the What I Do meme.

In March, Max wrote his own name; I told people what I'd like them to say to my child with special needs and once again asked them to not use that awful word.

In April, Max became a barfly, a teen with Down syndrome was crowned prom king, and the girl with Down syndrome who'd become a cruel web joke was found.

In May, Max rocked his spring concert and I cried from happiness at the IEP.

In June, Max hit a backyard home run and bowled like a champ; I told the world that my child with special needs is not a burden to society and created Special Needs Moms: The Reality Show.

In July, Max asked the best question in the whole wide worldgot very brave and starred in his own backseat version of Call Me Maybe; I debuted 50 Shades of Grey: Special Needs Mom Edition.

In August, we celebrated The American Cheese Milestone and a slideshow of our kids.

In September, Max walked up stairs by himself for the first time and I explained why people shouldn't pity kids with cerebral palsy.

In October, Max got his dream job; I asked people to smile at a special needs mom and outed people who cling to the word retard.

In November, Max debuted scrambled eggs therapy; readers shared their favorite toys for kids with special needs and also raised $3000 to help a mom hit by Sandy.

In December, I celebrated ten years of Max and hoped for more than happiness for him.

I hope 2013 is a celebratory year for you and your kids, too.

What are you celebrating from this past year?

Photo: Yasmeen Anderson

Related Posts

There is no other posts in this category.
Subscribe Our Newsletter