On sharing your childhood faves with your kids


One of the most fun parts of being a mom is introducing your kids to the stuff you loved as a kid—you know, like lanyard, ice-cream sundaes, county fairs. One guess as to what I recently took Sabrina to. Ding, ding, ding! Yes, Annie The Musical, back on Broadway.

I saw the original production on Broadway when I was a kid, when Andrea McArdle starred. We've watched the movie at home several times, Sabrina's learned some of the songs in camp. So when I was invited to a preview last month, I jumped on it. Sabrina can sometimes get a little blasé about stuff ("I don't WANT to go to the museum, I've BEEN to a museum!") but she was seriously giddy from the second we stepped into the theater.

"Why's the laundry there?" Sabrina wanted to know. "Did someone forget to take it down?"

I loved watching Sabrina watching the show. The new Annie, Lilla Crawford, has an absolutely incredible voice. The orphan crew was charming and the youngest, Molly, ultra adorable; Sabrina particularly liked seeing her prancing around in Miss Hannigan's bodice stuffed with tissue paper. I'm always partial to Miss Hanigan; actress Katie Finneran was deliciously awful.


Sandy's played by Sunny, a two-year-old terrier mix; she was discovered at a shelter in Houston when she was a day away from being euthanized. Of course, she's got lots of spunk. You can't be in Annie and not have spunk.


I knew all of the songs by heart, and it took a lot of willpower to not sing along (I doubt anyone sitting near us would have appreciated it).  


My favorite Annie song is "Maybe." If we ever hang out, I could sing it for you from start to finish...for a small fee. OK, what's your favorite Annie song?

Thanks to my friends at Mama Drama for hosting us at the show. 

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter