Oh, happy day: Max lied to me


So, we're still in the throes of potty-training at home. Happily, Max is fully trained at school. At this point, it's a battle of wills (Max's, Dave's and mine) and codependency (Max's).

The other night, before bathtime, I asked Max to sit on the potty. He did, grudgingly.

"Gooooooo!" he said, pointing to the door.

He wanted me out of there.

I left, but hovered in the shadows.

Max got up after about 30 seconds. No tinkling sound whatsoever, at least that I could hear. I watched him peer out the door.

"Max, did you go?" I asked, startling him.

"YESSSS!" he said. And then, as I walked toward him, he turned around and flushed the toilet.

Now, I guess he could have gone very softly, except (to be graphic) there was no pee on the seat as there usually is.

Max was trying to pull a fast one on me.

As warped as it may sound, it made me a little happy. You need a certain level of cognition to be wily like that, and Max had achieved it. He knew he needed to cover up his tracks (or lack thereof).

I stared at him. "Max," I said, "I am not really sure you did go in the potty. I am not sure that's the truth. But I know you will go tomorrow!"

And I left it at that. Now, if tomorrow he tells me that he's not the one who finished all the chocolate ice-cream, he's gonna be in trouble.

Related Posts

There is no other posts in this category.
Subscribe Our Newsletter