Rolo Cookies

A few years ago I was at a party at my aunt and uncle's house. I don't remember what we were celebrating, but it had to be something important because they had both sides of their family there. I want to say it was a missionary farewell party for one of their sons...? Anyway, soon after lunch it was time to go scope out the dessert table and choose a treat or two. I was carefully scanning the table when I set my eyes on a beautiful chocolate cookie. I picked up a napkin and selected one of these cookies, expecting to bite into a cakey chocolate cookie. And indeed I did, except there was also a lovely little surprise inside: a Rolo candy. The smooth caramel was such a shock, I didn't expect it at all. And I was in love. I wanted to eat every last one of those cookies. I ended up getting the recipe from the person who made them, and I'm pretty sure I lost it before I even left that house because I don't remember coming home with it. Tear!

Recently we celebrated my baby's blessing day at my parents' house and had some dessert afterward. I had a few people bring a different cookie to share, including myself. I decided to make Rolo Cookies and go on the hunt for the perfect recipe. And this, my friends, is what I believe to be the perfect Rolo Cookie recipe. They taste just like the ones I remember eating a few years ago. After the blessing, I was watching people take their first bite into the cookies I made and anxiously awaited their facial expressions when they realized there was a Rolo inside. It was a lot of fun, I have to say! Their faces looked like what I'm pretty sure mine looked like a few years ago. It was wonderful. And now I want you to be able to experience that same joy when you bite into these cookies! The dough gets wrapped right around the Rolo for an ooey gooey center that tastes like heaven. You're going to love these cookies!

These cookies didn't last long and I forgot to take an "after" picture. The recipe comes from Two Peas & Their Pod, as well as the image above! 

Rolo Cookies
Two Peas & Their Pod 
makes 3 dozen cookies
  • 2 1/2 c. flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 3/4 c. cocoa
  • 1 c. butter, at room temperature
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1 c. light brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • bag of Rolo candies, unwrapped
  • sugar (for rolling the dough balls in)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat and set aside.

 In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa. Set aside.


With a hand mixer or stand mixer, cream butters and sugars together until smooth. Add in eggs one at a time then add the vanilla extract. Mix until blended. (Do you see that lovely beverage in the background? Vanilla Diet Pepsi on tap. It was a good day, my friends.)


Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture and blend well.


Take a spoonful of cookie dough and wrap it around one Rolo. Make sure the Rolo is completely covered with the dough. Roll each dough ball in sugar and place on the cookie sheet. Continue until you run out of cookie dough.

Bake cookies for 7-10 minutes, depending on your oven. Remove from the oven and let them sit on the cookie sheet for a couple minutes. Move to a cooling rack and cool completely. 

Indeed.


** FYI - When I made these I ended up adding a whole extra cup of flour. One mistake I did make was that I forgot to get my butter set out at room temperature and I ended up putting it in the microwave. I may have kept it in there for too long and it got too liquidy. But the dough was pretty sticky and not the cookie dough texture it needed to be. The cookies still tasted good after I added the flour though. I'm not sure if the butter was the issue or not, but this was what I ended up doing!

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter