Bowling for kids with special needs: score!


Saturday morning, Max woke up, swung his arm back and forth and stared at me, expectantly. Bowling. He wanted to go bowling.

"Oooh-aaay?" he asked. ["Today?"] This understanding of today vs. tomorrow is new to him in recent months. And of course, he wants everything today. Like the other day, he woke up and asked about going on another Disney cruise. Oooh-aaay. Bowling was a lot more do-able.

Max has been to a bunch of birthday parties at bowling lanes in recent months and had a great time. He's also into the app Gutterball: Golden Bowling Pin, which I like because it's encouraged him to use his pointer finger. And so, Max and I went bowling, and I even remembered to bring the noise-blocking earphones.

When we got there, Max tried to crash some kid's party, but I lured him away and soon we were decked out in super-chic bowling shoes and the nice lady behind the desk hooked us up with a ramp. 

Turns out that Max wasn't psyched to see my name on the screen. No, he wanted his best bud's name, so up it went.


Max bowled for two—him and Caleb, taking up both turns. I'd lift the ball onto the ramp for him and he'd push it mightily then stare, hopefully, as it rolled along. He squealed each time he got a bunch of pins down, and I did, too. 

We had ourselves a great date. 


Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter